Bright day! Solar power achieves peak global output on solstice.

By Oliver Townsend Jun 21, 2024
Good day sunshine: Solar hits record global power supply on summer solstice.webpOrginal image from: https://www.newsweek.com/good-day-sunshine-solar-hits-record-global-power-supply-summer-solstice-1915500

The summer solstice marks the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere, bringing abundant sunshine and setting a record for clean energy production. With the remarkable growth in solar power, the world was expected to receive approximately 20% of its total electricity from the sun during this solstice, as reported by Ember, a clean-energy think tank based in London.

Solar Power Shines Bright on the Summer Solstice

Ember’s global electricity analyst, Kostantsa Rangelova, highlighted that close to 90% of the world’s solar panels are installed in the Northern Hemisphere, with June’s extended sunlight period leading to peak solar production. This year, the midday peak of solar power on the solstice was projected to make up about 20% of the world’s electricity, showcasing a significant increase from previous years.

Increasing Solar Power Production

As prices for solar panels and battery storage decrease, the global share of electricity generated from solar energy continues to grow. Ember anticipates that solar electricity generation will exceed 8% this month, up from 6.7% last June. The rise in utility-scale battery storage for solar energy enables power providers to better align solar supply with peak consumer demand.

Global Solar Power Distribution

China, the world’s largest solar market, is projected to meet nearly 10% of its total electricity needs from solar power this month. The European Union is set to derive around 20% of its electricity from solar, with Spain leading the way by expecting 30% of its power to come from solar sources in June. In the U.S., the share of electricity from solar is on the rise, reaching nearly 7% this month.

The Path to Sustainable Energy

Despite the progress in solar power production, there remains substantial untapped potential in countries with abundant sunshine. Rangelova emphasized the need for further growth to meet renewable energy targets and combat the greenhouse gas emissions driving climate change. The International Energy Agency’s net-zero energy scenario calls for global solar production to supply 20% of electricity year-round by 2030, underscoring the importance of continued investment in solar energy.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *